maincurve UC Library MyUC iLearn Webmail Home
title Student Life Home

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. When will I receive my roommate and housing assignment information?

    Housing applications can be completed online at

    Housing assignments are mailed to incoming students beginning the last week of May. A student’s housing assignment will not be mailed until that student’s housing application has been received to the University and the student has been accepted for admission.

  2. Can I room with a friend who is also enrolled at UC?

    Friends who wish to room together must both request each other on their housing applications.

    It is important to fill in the housing application completely, because decisions regarding roommate assignments are based on the information provided.  

    It is essential that housing applications for the fall semester be turned in no later than May 1st to ensure that each student’s requests can be processed efficiently. 

  3. What are visitation hours?

    Residence hall lobbies are open from 10:00 a.m. until midnight Sunday through Thursday and from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.

    Guests may visit residence hall rooms during Open House. Open House is from 7 p.m. until 10 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday and from 7 p.m. until12:30 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.

  4. How do I gain access to my residence hall “after hours”?

    To help keep our residence halls safe and secure, the front door to each residence hall is locked at 12:00 a.m. on weeknights and unlocked at 7:00 a.m. On weekends, doors are locked at 2:00 a.m. and reopened at 7:00 a.m.

    When the residence halls are locked, residents may still enter by signing in at the Bock Building, which is located in front of Asher Hall.

  5. May I decorate my room?

    Students are encouraged to personalize their rooms. However, posters and pictures may be hung using masking tape only. Due to damage that may occur, duct tape and other adhesives may not be used in the residence halls.

  6. Can I bring my car to campus?

    Yes! There are parking lots adjacent to each of the residence halls as well as parking lots for commuters on the academic side of campus.

    Personal vehicles must be registered with the University.  Parking permits for the academic year can be purchased for only $15 through the Business Services office.

  7. What do I need to bring with me to access the Internet, cable, and telephone service?

    The University of the Cumberlands provides both wireless and wired internet access, cable television, and local telephone service to its resident students at no additional cost.

    Internet: To connect to the internet, students must bring an internet capable device. To ensure the optimal connection speeds, students are strongly encouraged to bring Ethernet cables. If additional Ethernet ports are needed in a room, students can lease a switch from IT at no additional charge.

    Cable: To connect to cable television, students are responsible for providing their own cable-ready television and coaxial cable to connect to the wall jack provided.

    Phone: As an alternative to personal cell phones, students may bring their own landline telephones to set up in their rooms. Students may use these phones to place on-campus, local (Williamsburg, Corbin, and Jellico), and toll-free calls at no cost. There are many options for placing long distance calls from landline phones on campus. Students may choose to make credit card, collect calls or to purchase pre-paid calling cards.

  8. What else do I need to bring and not bring?

    The Office of Student Services provides a list of What to Bring and What Not to Bring. Students can also view UC residence hall amenities by selecting the specific residence hall from the list on the Residence Life homepage.