Dr. Anita Bowman, PhD, ATC, CSCS
Associate Professor and Department Chair
Dr. Anita Bowman joined the University of the Cumberlands' faculty in 2004 and was appointed interim Department Chair in 2012. She attended University of Kentucky and earned her PhD in Exercise Science with a Biomechanics concentration in 2004. She also attended Ball State University where she was awarded a MS in Physical Education with a Sports Administration concentration. In 1988, her undergraduate BS degree was granted from Manchester University (formerly Manchester College) in Health and Physical Education (Exercise Science concentration) with a minor in Athletic Training.
Since joining the UC Faculty in 2004, she was awarded the Excellence in Teaching Award in 2011 and the William T. Miles Community Service Award in 2009. Dr. Bowman was bestowed the title of Kentucky Colonel in 2007 while working with the Kentucky Governor’s Scholars Program.
- Adapted Physical Education
- Introduction to Exercise and Sport Science
- Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries
- Sport Psychology
- Exercise Prescription
- Physical Education for Elementary School
- Methods and Materials of Physical Education (undergrad & grad online)
- First Aid and Safety
- Physiology of Exercise
- Functional Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Fitness and Sport Management Senior Seminar
- History and Principles of Exercise and Sport Science
- Fattening of America (undergrad & grad online)
- Methods and Materials of Health Education (grad online)
- Motor Development (undergrad & grad online)
2009 Anita Bowman. Bridging the Gap between the Classroom and the Real World. Appalachian College Association’s Annual Summit XII.
2007 Susan Weaver, Tom Fish, Kathy Fish, Anita Bowman, and Jim Manning. Focusing Institutional Culture: Engaging Students through Critical Thinking. Appalachian College Association’s Annual Summit X.
2006 Susan Weaver, Anita Bowman, and Garland Young. Same Goal, Multiple Approaches to Online Teaching. Appalachian College Association’s Annual Summit IX.
2009 Anita Bowman, Kim Miller, Susan Weaver, and Lynn Woolsey. Closing the Loop: Using Online Tutorials to Address Concerns with our QEP. Appalachian College Association Grant.
2006 Bill Garris, Anita Bowman, and Susan Weaver. Student Response Systems: Tools to Strengthen Student Engagement, Enhance Learning, and Strengthen Information Literacy. Appalachian College Association Grant.