If you’re interested in teaching health, you may want to consider either a Bachelor of Science degree or a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in health education or a minor in health education. With a health education major, you can earn certification to teach health in either elementary or secondary schools.
As a health education student at Cumberlands, you will study with caring, experienced faculty members who can help you tailor a program of study unique to your interests. Diverse course offerings, including education courses, field trips; and guest speakers, expose students to the opportunities available in the field of health education.
In addition to your classroom studies, you’ll spend 12 weeks on-site in a local school system, under the guidance of a working professional. Faculty members from the department will help you plan your teaching experience and will coordinate the supervision of your work.
After you graduate, you will be prepared to continue your studies in graduate school or to begin your teaching career, working to improve the quality of people’s lives by promoting health and fitness.
What Can I Do With This Degree?
- Health Education Teacher for Grades P-12
- Health Educator for Local Health Department
- Community Health Educator in a Hospital Setting
- Health or Patient Educator for Voluntary Health Agency
- Health Promotion Specialist
- Health and Wellness Educator for Community
- Nutrition Educator for Local Health Department
- Community Health Educator for School System
- Health Educator/Counselor for Federally Funded Grant Programs
- Corporate Health and Wellness Director
|Opportunities to gain valuable experience prior to student teaching|
|Professors who model “best practices” in teaching|
|Hands on teaching experiences for majors|
|Develop teaching materials/resource units to use after graduation|
|Caring Faculty who take a special interest in their students|
|Qualified and experienced faculty|
|Small classes which allows faculty to provide individual attention|
|Student’s individuality and creativity is encouraged|
|Opportunities for hands on clinical experiences|
|Excellent Preparation for graduate school or continuing education|