Ms. Garnet Chrisman
Associate Professor of Education
Mrs. Garnet Chrisman attended Berea College, earning a B.A. in Child Development in 1977. While pursuing an M.S. in Early Childhood Education at the University of Kentucky, Mrs. Chrisman taught in the university’s Early Childhood Lab. Following her graduation in 1980, she moved to Coweta County, Georgia, where she taught third grade for ten years. She completed her Reading and Writing Specialist at the University of the Cumberlands in 2006.
Mrs. Chrisman, who joined the University of the Cumberlands faculty in 1994, teaches undergraduate classes taken at the beginning, middle and end of the program. She is currently the Field Placement Director for the undergraduate program, KEASP advisor (Kentucky Education Association Student Program), and academic advisor. She was part of the QEP Cadre in 2007. She works with first year teachers as a Teacher Educator in the Kentucky Teacher Internship Program. Memberships include: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD), Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI), Kentucky Association of Teacher Educators (KATE), Kentucky Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (KACTE) and Kappa Delta Pi. Outside the classroom, Mrs. Chrisman actively participates in numerous community service projects, and in 1987, her contributions were recognized when she received the William T. Miles Community Service Award. In 2003, Mrs. Chrisman was honored with the Excellence in Teaching Award.
- EDUC/ ELEM/ ELMS/ SPED 237 Introduction to Effective Teaching Practices
- EDUC 235 Basic Concepts Concerning Education
- ELEM 491 Supervised Student Teaching: Elementary
- EDUC 331 Special Topics in Education
Publications, Presentations and Participations
“Emeregency Treatment for Technology Trauma” Traditions and Transitions in Education, October 6, 2006 KATE Annual Conference, presented with Norma Patrick and three students, Tocarra Montgomery, Amber Thacker, Ali Wolfe
- Kentucky Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Institute in Lexington, Kentucky
- Kentucky Association of Colleges for Teacher Education Conference
- Livetext Users Conference
- ACA Institute of Teaching and Learning
- Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board, Teacher Work Sample Task Force
- AIKCU European Union Study Tour, Berlin and Paris